Our diocesan shield depicts many historical events depicted in formal heraldic terminology. The legend, “Seal of the Diocese of Oklahoma•1837•1937” is described as versica-wise (a glass-beveling term describing an oval with two pointed ends). 1837 recalls when Oklahoma became a missionary district of the Episcopal Church. 1937 commemorates when the General Convention recognized the Diocese of Oklahoma. The coat-of-arms (heraldic: “shield”) of the diocese is argent (heraldic: “silver”) and azure (heraldic: “bright blue”) on a saltire (heraldic: “X-shaped cross”) between a mullet (heraldic: “star-shaped object”) in chief (heraldic: “along the shield’s top), an arrow head in base (heraldic: “the shield’s lower part”), and two wagon wheels in fesse (heraldic: “across the shield’s center”). The saltire contains a shoemaker’s awl and a leather knife that are counterchanged (heraldic: “opposite, but balanced”) symbolizing St. Crispin and Crispinian (patrons of cobblers and leather workers) near whose feast (October 25) fell all important changes in our Diocese. The shield is surmounted by the bishop’s mitre. The star symbolizes the state; the arrow head - Indian Territory; the wheels - the land runs. The counterchanging of azure and argent symbolizes two equal Missionary Districts that united.
~ Dr. Gil Haas
Various Clergy and members of St. Augustine contribute to authoring the blog on a variety of topics.